Saturday, November 21, 2009

5K = Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Challenge

Today, I did my usual walking/running intervals, for 5K (that's 3.1 miles, give or take), in under an hour. I think it's one of my most glorious victories for me, and I got myself a goodie bag for that. It includes a pedometer, power bar, a packet of tuna, and other healthful things. I ate the bar, but that alone is just the prelude to my greatest reward for completing my first five kilometers -


starting a day at Disney's Hollywood Studios with Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

So why reward myself with a ride with more than a mere one inversion for an exercise challenge? Well, besides the fact that an epicurean reward backfires due to over-consumption of calories (Feeling scientific? Read the related study on that at http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0004515.), I reward a challenge with another non-exercise, non-food challenge. Of course, I have many thrill-ride milestones on my roster. I rode my first coaster with an inversion, the Scorpion at Busch Gardens, in 1995, then, I rode my first woodie in Morey's Pier, the Great White, in 1999. I proceeded to ride the first installment of Mission: Space in Epcot during my 8th grade field trip, before devoting to the merely-simulated (non-spinning) "green team" version. I rode Sheikra for the first three times in Busch Gardens last August, once in one day, twice in another. The latter experience and the 5K are impetuses in the thrill ride challenge for the weekend.

So that's what I'm doing in the few days before Thanksgiving - riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster first thing at DHS (unless Muetti decides to start off with Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage, if that mentally prepares me) but first, a party should be attended!

As Tigger puts it, TTFN - ta-ta for now!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment